Cllr Sue Cooper is the new Leader of South Oxfordshire District Council. She returned to the council last year after winning a by-election, having served on the council previously for many years. She represents her home ward of Benson and Crowmarsh and was elected as the Leader of the Council at the Annual Council Meeting on Thursday 16 May.
Following in the recent footsteps of Cllr Jeannette Matelot, Thame District Councillor David Bretherton (also a Town Councillor) has been elected as Chairman of SODC. His Vice-chairman is Cllr Elizabeth Gillespie.
In her Leader’s Report to the Annual Council Meeting, which is available here, Cllr Cooper said: South Oxfordshire is a wonderful place for our residents to live, and likewise for people who come here for work or to visit, but we have some significant challenges ahead.
“I will be working with the cabinet to tackle the big issues affecting South Oxfordshire residents in new ways. This includes making sure housing and employment developments are more sustainable, as well as seeking out new ways to deliver truly affordable housing and helping to provide a boost to our market towns and villages so they’re a successful heart of their communities.”
Here’s the list of councillors in the cabinet and the areas they’re covering:
- Cllr Sue Cooper: Leader, Legal and Democratic, and Didcot Garden Town
- Cllr David Turner: Deputy Leader and Finance
- Cllr Sue Roberts: Climate and ecological crisis response, and support for the Leader
- Cllr Pieter-Paul Barker: Partnership and Insight
- Cllr Robin Bennett: Economic Development and Regeneration
- Cllr Maggie Filipova-Rivers: Community Services
- Cllr Andrea Powell: Corporate Services
- Cllr Leigh Rawlins: Planning
- Cllr David Rouane: Housing and Environment
Here are the appointments to chair the council’s committees.
- Chairman: Cllr Ian Snowdon
- Vice-chairman: Cllr Peter Dragonetti
- Chairman: Cllr Ian White
- Vice-chairman: Cllr Mocky Khan
Joint Scrutiny Committee
- Co-Chairman: Cllr Ian White
Joint Audit and Governance Committee
- Co-Chairman: Cllr Mocky Khan
General Licensing Committee and Licensing Acts Committee
- Chairman: Cllr Anne-Marie Simpson
- Vice-chairman: Cllr Leigh Rawlins
Community Grants Panel
- Chairman: Cllr Sarah Gray